Committed To Resolving Your Legal Issues

FAQ: What Happens When A Child Custody Order Is Violated?

If a child custody order is violated, then you need to immediately take legal action. First, you (or your attorney) should file a Petition for Contempt with the court and allege an intentional violation of the order. If the other party is found to be in contempt, then the judge can impose a number of sanctions including imprisonment, probation, a fine, court costs and attorney fees. Second, you (or your attorney) should contact the local police department and report the violation.

In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the intentional interference with the custody of a minor child is a crime that may be graded as a felony of the third degree.

For more information about enforcement of custody orders, call the Law Office of Joel D. Peppetti, P.C., at 814-201-6287 or email family law attorney Joel D. Peppetti in Altoona.